Snow & Weather
Heli-Assisted Ski Touring
The Best of Both Worlds! Ski Touring with Helicopter Support.
Discover the beautiful Bella Coola Mountains by using both helicopters and your "low speed" quads. Our Heli Assisted Ski Touring program is the perfect hybrid of Alpine Touring and Helicopter Skiing: more exploration and freedom than touring, and more economical than traditional heli skiing.
- Heli drop first thing in the morning for a warm up run first thing in the morning
- Ski and tour in a different area every day enjoying the varied views
- Stay in a comfortable lodge at night with superb food and massages
- Enjoy the serenity of the beautiful and rugged mountains surrounding Bella Coola while getting exercise
- Option to ski additional heli runs when conditions warrant it
The day starts with a heli drop high in the alpine, a bonus heli run so to speak. The remainder of the day the group uses their “low speed” quads and generally can ski another 2-3 runs before hitching a ride on the helicopter back down to the lodge.
The days' pace and objectives are formulated in conjunction with the guide starting the previous evening and on an on going basis throughout the day. We want to make it clear that these trips do not need to be backbreaking expeditions. The emphasis is to have fun and enjoy the beautiful Bella Coola mountains while getting a decent bit of exercise at the same time.
A particular advantage is that every day you can ski in a different geographic area. One day it can be by the fjords, the next near the ice cap and the big glaciers, then in the Big Snow Zone or some nice tree runs. We can also engineer traverses of terrain where you end the day in a totally different zone from the start of the day. This variety is of course not possible when you book a trip at a ski touring lodge where you end up skiing the same couple bowls every day.
The best thing about the program is the flexibility to do additional heli runs when and if the group decides it wants to do so. For example, once you are already up in the mountains it doesn’t take much additional flying time to do a second drop and a third or fourth or alternatively, to do one additional heli drop in the afternoon when the machine is back to pick you up.
We recommend coming later in March or during April. By this time the days are longer and the weather is generally a bit more settled. It'll be getting on to spring in the valley, but the snow will still be powder in the alpine so no worries on that score. However, it’s possible to do this program any time starting early January through to the end of May. Each month has its particular attractions and advantages.
If you'd like to get a feel for our program, there's a great article on it here: Mountain Life (Coast Mountains).
Ski and tour all day and experience true adventure then return to a warm bed and personalized Canadian hospitality at the Eagle Lodge, located near the village of Bella Coola and just 5 minutes from the Bella Coola Airport.
Our goal is to share our knowledge of the magnificent mountains. Our guides are well versed in the local flora, fauna, history and culture of this dramatic landscape. They are happy to share their mountain skills too.
• Wool and/or synthetic socks
• Base layer Top and Bottoms - synthetic, wool or silk
• Mid-insulation Layer Top and Bottom
• Light wind shell
• Weather layer Top and Bottoms – Gore-Tex or other waterproof breathable fabric
• Down or synthetic jacket
• Toque – wool or synthetic
• Brimmed Cap
• Face Warmer – Scarf, neck tube, face mask
• Light Gloves
• Insulated Gloves or Mitts
• Skis or split-board
• Ski Crampons (optional)
• Helmet (optional)
• Repair kit – Tools and parts to fix your personal travel rig
• Light weight ski/mountaineering harness
• One triple action carabiner or two locking carabiners, two non-locking carabiners
• 2-5m 7mm prussick cord, 1-1.5m 7mm prussick cord
• Skin wax
• Light weight Shovel
• Ski Pack – Light and comfortable, 30-40 litres
• Sun and lip sunscreen
• Water bottle or Camelback
• Thermos (optional)
• Blister kit
• Camera (optional)
Call us direct at 1.604.932.3000 or submit the form below.
Rates & Dates
For prices, please see our rate page here.
Please contact us for availability information and we will do our best to accommodate your dates.
All prices are in Canadian dollars (CAD). Tax rates are 2.5% for international guests & 5% for Canadian residents.
- Return flight Vancouver to Bella Coola
- 7 Night Trips = 6 days of touring. 5 Night Trips = 4 days of touring
- Double occupancy accommodation at Eagle Lodge
- Gourmet meals
- Daily heli drop off and pick up (1 in the morning, 1 in the afternoon)
- Free use of powder rental skis
- Touring adapters and climbing skins if required, though we recommend you bring a proper touring set-up
- All safety equipment incuding optional airbag
- Professional guide service
- Alcoholic Beverages
- Massage Therapy @ $120 per hour
- Guaranteed Single Occupancy is $60 per night